S1: A LOOK IN THE MIRROR: ARE YOU HAPPY?


I've had dark days. 

Back in time, when I first moved to Switzerland, I was not doing what I wanted to do. I never wanted to study economics, accounting and finance... I wanted to sing. I was alone in a setting that seemed unfriendly to me and it was killing me. Nights were long and I was dreading the life that was rolling out ahead of me. It took me a long time to meet people, make friends and to start appreciating the great country that Switzerland can be. I'd say it took me 3 years to make my first proper, good friends there. 

Why am I saying all this? 
Because when I was ready to spend two months in Nashville, I was wondering if it would be easy to meet people or if I'd be alone most of the time. And I can link it back to the question many of you asked me :
"Are you really going alone to a place where you don't know anyone?!". 
I was worried that some days might be long and scared that if that was the case, I'd get into that vicious circle of being alone, not enjoying the city and not getting my music done either, because I would not be in the right state of mind.

That dark place I was in when I first moved to Switzerland has left scars and yes, it's always scary to think that you can go through that type of thing again. Well, what I'm experiencing here in Nashville is the complete opposite. In just 2 weeks, I've met so many people that have made everything great, and they are people I'm sure I won't lose touch with later on.

Yesterday was my birthday and these people made it so special and full of surprises just like true friends do. I'm so grateful to have met them and to be surrounded by great people to share the important things with. Because this whole trip is important to me. It's the artist's life I've always wanted to live and my creativity is blooming. Lyrics just rush through my head most days, they lead to new songs and somehow, things are musically different.

A lesson learned
I've spent a quarter of my time here already (2 weeks) and it's been the best I've ever felt in my whole life. It's a crazy feeling that I haven't yet had time to process but what I've learnt is that life is too short to be living a life you are not happy with and you just cannot fight who you are. You just have to let go sometimes.

I am not saying I am going to stop working for a living and I do hope that I will not be jobless too long when I get back to Switzerland, because reality is also part of life and we all need a roof over our head and a fridge full of food. But, before coming here, I was in a place where I was artistically stuck and frustrated. A frustration that probably grew over the years, causing me to not evolve as an artist and as a human being. My creativity became poor and my voice closed in on me, literally. Everything became difficult. Pleasure was getting lost and I was scared to be losing my biggest passion for music, for what I have always lived for. 

Although I'm not sure where I'll be after this trip, one thing I am sure of is that I will have no regrets because I have found myself again for the first time in many years and I'm lost for words when it comes to describing the feeling. 

I wish everyone the courage and the chance to let go of what's holding them back and to pursue their dreams, no matter how scary it can be, because it's worth everything.
Life is a story you write as you go.

1 comment:

  1. I am happy that things eventually did fall into place! I also went through phases like that and I am sure that it will happen again. :) See you soon.

    ReplyDelete