S1: TIN PAN SOUTH SONGWRITER'S FESTIVAL


A few blog posts ago, I was explaining why I chose to come to Nashville out of all the places that I could have chosen and it was closely tied to the songs I had heard in ABC's Nashville TV series (read here). Before leaving Switzerland, I checked up if the "Nashville in Concert" Tour was programmed in Nashville but to my biggest regret it was not! I'd have loved to hear Clare Bowen and Lennon & Maisy live...

Well, this week in Nashville was the Tin Pan South Annual Songwriter's Festival. It's actually the biggest songwriter's festival in the world. There was so much scheduled that I didn't even know where to begin to look and my songwriting teacher pointed some good gigs out for me. Charles Esten (aka Deacon Clayborne in ABC's Nashville) and The Stellas (parents of Lennon & Maisy) were playing on Thursday night. By looking deeper into the schedule, I saw that Lennon & Maisy were actually coming as special guests that night.

And, "The Musical World of ABC's Nashville" was scheduled on Saturday evening with Clare Bowen! Wow, I needed to go to all this!

Thursday: The Stellas, Charles Esten, Lennon & Maisy

Tin Pan South happens in different venues all around town. Charles Esten was playing at The Country, a few blocks away from where I'm staying. I took a Uber ride there and was upset to see I couldn't get in. The place was at its capacity and people had been waiting in line for 3 hours from what I was told. Tin Pan South is a big festival after all... Luckily, there were windows all around the place and speakers outside, so I got to watch the show from there (in the cold!) until people left and I got in.

Tin Pan South Festival @ The Country, Nashville
This was very different to any concert I'd ever seen in Europe. There were four artists scheduled that night, I had imagined that they would play one after the other. But not quite: they all sat on stage next to each other, and took it in turns to sing a song each with just their guitar waiting for their turn again as it went round. Lots of laughing and chatting in between songs on stage and an incredibly homely feeling in the venue. Lennon & Maisy were sitting in the crowd at the front and nobody bothered them although the public was calling out for them to play. And when they did, I got tears in my eyes. They are even better  heard live! Definitely check them up if you have never heard them, you won't regret it.

And a great discovery that night for me was their parents: The Stellas! If you like anything that's a duet between a man and woman with beautiful harmonies, this is for you. 



Saturday: "The Musical World of ABC's Nashville" 
with Clare Bowen, Brandon Young, Chris Carmack, Jonathan Jackson, Audrey Peeples, Colin Linden and Emmylou Harris

This show took place at a much bigger venue: 3rd & Lindsley
Waiting for the show to begin @ 3rd & Lindsley

I was a little concerned about going to see a show alone, never knowing how it is going to be inside. But, there were big tables and I got myself a seat with some really nice people I shared the evening with. That's Nashville for you, never alone!

What can I say about the show...? I got goosebumps to get to hear the songs I loved in the TV series live and sang by some of my favourite singers in there. And watching a show whilst eating onion rings, well that's new to me but it's fun! 

Here are some of the songs I filmed to share with you:




Clare Bowen sang "Longer" with her fiancé, Brandon Young. What a crazy voice he has:



Something a little more rock'n'roll with Jonathan Jackson:


I didn't catch the name of this one...


And one of my favourites from the TV show:


Emmylou Harris was hosting the show but she sang one too:



Photos
See all the photos on TakeOff Avenue's Facebook page.




No comments:

Post a Comment