S2: IT'S DIFFERENT. I AM DIFFERENT.


Coming to Nashville felt different this time. Probably because during this entire year, everything has been different. My job, the music, my life...! In a good way.

A building in Midtown
And in all this difference, I’ve finally found my balance. I am finally fully (or almost) living the music alongside my job, a first since I quit school 5 years ago! This would not have happened without last year's life-changing trip to Nashville.

To be honest, I've felt different my whole life and it’s always been because of the music. As an artist, I sometimes feel that I give into my emotions or see life differently to other people. Us artists, we live through our art, we need to share it, we need to experience it, we need to keep creating. It is a need. And as with any need, when you don’t get enough of it, your world falls apart.

Imagine living without food. Without water. Without love. We all understand those needs. But few people understand the need for music/art. So yes, I've often felt different and sometimes a little lonely in my artist bubble in a normal everyday world. I don’t always fit in because I’m a dreamer in a world where there is too little space for dreaming. My mind wanders away, constantly. Emotions seem like they are multiplied by a million. And I need to express them, in my own way.

So here I am back in Music City, where I get that beautiful feeling that I belong, and I'm here to continue what I started last year: work on my songwriting, improve my vocal technique, and learn more about myself as an artist and as a person.

No plans for a drastic change in my life this time. My job is waiting for me when I go back. There’s a lot less unknown, and yet, it’s still the unknown that was attracting me back here. Will I find inspiration the way I did last year? Will I meet people that will make Nashville feel like home again? What next? What if…? It will be different.

On the way to Downtown Nashville.

I've had a bit of a slow start this time. I've been here for a couple of days now, but it feels as though I have just "landed" somehow. Blame it on jet lag maybe, but I also left Switzerland in a bit of a rush this time with work and the couple of gigs I was playing the past week. I did not really have the time to prepare myself for my big trip and... off I was.

After the busy year I've had with the release of my CD (recorded in Nashville last year), cutting myself some slack felt necessary these past few days. You know, that strange feeling when you press "pause" and you feel torn between a sudden feeling of emptiness vs. enjoying doing nothing? It's where I'm at right now, a mix of both feelings. I'm craving the music but also feel it needs a little break before I can get creative again. A good compromise seems to get out there and enjoy a few drinks and some good food whilst listening to live music. Chill. Until inspiration starts flowing (hopefully) and I feel like getting back up on stage!

First things first upon arrival, I had to start off with a plate of hot chicken from Hattie B's... I've been craving it the whole year! I waited in line in the heat for about 1 hour, but it's always worth it! Of course, not the same without my buddy Patrik I used to share the fun with last year...

   



Then, an Uber ride to Trader Joe's to fill up my big American fridge and I'm all set to enjoy Music City all over again! 

The stormy weather got me working on my guitar scales for 5 hours yesterday. As soon as it stopped pouring and my fingers were going numb, I walked down to the Gulch and around Midtown and could not help the silly smile on my face as I was walking alone. I forgot how happy Nashville made me. Or was it just that sweet feeling of freedom? Probably both. There's an amazing vibe here. And friendliness, a lot of friendliness.

It'll be completely different this time, no doubt about that. But, I love this place and it'll be all about the music, and that's no different to last year!



I love old cars...! 

Two Old Hippies store at the Gulch, Nashville TN.

Midtown, Nashville TN.
Midtown, Nashville TN.



No comments:

Post a Comment