S1: AMERICANS DO IT DIFFERENTLY

It's been a long time since my last blog post, but I've been swept away by the music and am enjoying every second of it here in Nashville. I've been here for nearly 6 weeks, it's crazy how fast time goes in this city.

In this post, I'd like to point out some of the things that are so different here in the US as compared to Europe. Here's what I've noticed (among so much more...):

1. Who needs privacy when they pee?

Well... I don't know about you, but I do. Many public toilets in the US have gaps everywhere around the door and walls. Not only do people see your feet (and that gap is pretty high), but if they're tall, they can also look over the door.

Oh, and the door does not close tightly to its frame. There is a gap there too. In the end you just have to get over it and do what you have to do. No photos to illustrate this, I'm sorry.


2. Since we're talking about toilets...

The toilets here are filled with LOTS of water. So once you've gotten over the "gaps-in-the-door-and-no-privacy" issue, you're wondering

1/ if this first toilet you went to is blocked. No, that's normal.

2/ how you can possibly do your business without it splashing everywhere. I won't go into details on that, let's move on to more glamorous things.









Pull on the wire at the window to request your stop!
3. Looking for the button to request a stop when riding a bus?

Well keep looking, cos it is not a button over here but a metal wire running across the windows of the bus. Pull on it to request your stop.

The first bus ride in another country is always a bit of a stressful experience, luckily for me I had enough time to see people pulling on this (strange) wire and understand what it was before having to do it myself.










Simplistic bus stop.
4. Yes, that is a bus stop.

Bus stops in Nashville can be as simple as a little "Bus Stop" sign nailed onto a pole in the middle of a street. Keep an eye out for those and stand real close so that the bus knows you're waiting. Oh, and hope it doesn't rain.

A bus stop you pray to get to alive.















5. A pedestri...-what?

There are some bus stops that actually have a shelter like we know them back at home. But... getting there can be quite tricky:
>> Walk along a fast 4-lane road with no pavement, pray for your life, cross the grass and there you are. (see photo on the right)

Once you've made it there alive, you understand that you really need a car in Nashville.

Oh and, as as you can see below, sometimes there are zebra crossings but... do you notice anything strange on the other side?

A zebra crossing leading to no pavement.

On the left: US letter. On the right: A4.
6. Would you mind printing this for me please?

Printed out lyrics are sometimes easier to work with, but when I was trying to put my papers together, I was getting frustrated. Something seemed wrong when I was trying to align what I printed back at home and what I printed here. Yep, even paper-size is different!

Note to myself: I now know what the 'US Letter' format my Macbook keeps bringing up actually is.


7. Red light? Turn right!

When the traffic light is red and you are on the right lane... you have to turn right.

It's better to know that before you start driving OR crossing the road.
Yes pedestrian, when it's green for you, watch out! It's also green for those turning your way.
Once again, get a car.

Cars turning right on a red light.
8. Beep! Beep! Beep!

I was wondering why so many cars kept honking outside my window. American cars beep when you lock them, so that you know they are locked. Some beep once but some seem to beep 3 times in a row. Now, that wouldn't be very welcome in quiet Switzerland...!

It's quite disconcerting when you are walking down the road and you think you are getting honked at. I haven't got used to it yet and sometimes still turn around to see if it was for me...

A price tag for a guitar, tax not included.


9. Wow, that's a good price!

But when you get the counter, it costs more!?

Sales tax is not included on the price tag or on the menu price list. Remember that. I got surprised a few times.













10. Thirst don't get a chance.
A regular size unsweet Iced Tea in the US.

Buy one drink, get a free refill. Or two. Or three.

You only need to buy one drink in the US, and you're drinking for the day/night.

I never even make it to the refill, because there is already half a liter to drink in the first glass.


11. Iced tea: sweet or Unsweet?

What I love here, is that you get to choose if you want your ice tea sweet or not.

That's right, just cold tea otherwise, a healthier alternative but still a fresh drink!


Milk. Big bottles of milk.


12. Make it big.

Packaging in the US is double to four times the sizes we have in Europe.

Want milk? You're talking about 3-4 liters in one bottle. You'd better have a big fridge.

(Note: the bottles that look 'small' in the photo on the left are still larger than what we have in Europe.)


On the left, ice-cream tubs as we know them in Europe. On the right, crazy-sized ice-cream tubs!

13. Oh yes, washing machines are different too.

An American washing machine.
Washing machines are not the way we know them in Europe either... The picture speaks for itself...!

Those are just a few things I thought fun to share... but there's so much more, of course!

See y'all and thanks for reading!

1 comment: