S2: 1 YEAR LATER...

1 year. Already. It's the time that has gone by since I took off for Nashville. The music finally got the time it needed to blossom. My life completely changed after that and that was the best feeling ever.

This entire year has been so intense I still barely realize what has happened... I feel like I've been head down working on making my dearest dreams come true whilst trying to keep my head above water in a super busy life. And now, I am just about taking the time to look up again, so grateful for all that the past year has given me: the release of my CD 'TENNESSEE' (www.diana-k.com), a new full time job as project manager in marketing, really cool gigs, great musicians, new friends, and most of all, so much love and support.

1 year ago, I left with many fears but also a lot of hope that I would overcome what was holding me back. Being in Nashville was like putting myself in front of a mirror and being (kindly) forced to look ahead. It was my chance to be me and I learned so much about myself. I had locked up the real me behind bars for many years, trying to be what was expected of me. But, you cannot stay away from your true self forever. And although it may be hard, the only advice I feel I can give someone today, after this whole experience, is: "Dare and let go!" 
I promise that when you do, you'll know it was the right thing to do.

There were two very powerful moments during this past year, when I realized how important it was to reach out to my goals and not give up:

- The day before the release of my CD, last November: I had a complete (happy) meltdown. I was tired of having worked day and night for months to make it happen, and it was finally there. The happiness that came with it is hard to describe. And at the same time, there was fear. I was putting myself out there, everything I had. 

- The morning after my first big gig: I woke up in tears. Tears of happiness. I was a prisoner of my own voice before going to Nashville. Just imagine when the only thing you need becomes your worst enemy. Just a year back, I would never have made it through that concert because of vocal issues. But, I did it!

Today, I feel blessed to have been able to experience all this. I am happy I dared to give up a life I didn't like for something unknown and unsure. Life can be an emotional rollercoaster at times and I think it's also important not to forget to take the time to appreciate things, rather than just live the race. Because yes, it has been one big happy race for a whole year. But, choosing to work a full time and challenging job whilst being an artist (and my own manager) also comes at a cost. I feel I've sacrificed my social life and neglected my friends, simply because the days weren't long enough and had to choose discipline (a certain amount of sleep, practice and time alone) to avoid exhaustion and keep up the quality of what I was doing, both at work and in the music. 

It is quite scary to think that passion or work can pull you away from some of the most important things in life. Slowing down to catch up with my friends these past few weeks has been amazingly comforting. I am so thankful for the incredible support they have given me and for being so understanding when I've turned them down so many times. (Love you guys!)

This has got me thinking a lot, and I think it's clearly time to slow down a bit again, to step back a little. I've decided to take off for Nashville again, as well as New Orleans, to take the time to process and appreciate everything that's happened, to write, to continue befriending my voice and to meet new people. No big goals this year, other than reconnecting with myself and speaking my heart out with the music.

Departure date: June 2nd, 2017.
Destination: Nashville (1 month), New Orleans (10 days)
Oh, and no quitting my job this year :-)

Care to join me on TakeOff Avenue - Season 2  for some new American adventures? :-)

Nashville 2016 - Photo by Nicola Harger






No comments:

Post a Comment